Maremma Sheepdogs are a Livestock Guardian Dog breed originating in Italy. Similar in appearance to the Great Pyrenees but respectful of fences and not prone to wandering, they are a "close in" guardian breed, content to stay close to their stock. They are very well suited to both small farms and big ranches. Our wonderful Maremmas protect our goats, horses, poultry and barn cats from predators, big and small, as well as from human intruders, but yet they are very affectionate with family and friends and love children. We adore our fluffy polar bear dogs and couldn’t do without them!
Info About Maremma Sheepdogs
- Maremma Sheepdog Club of America
- Maremmano.com (Maremma website)
- Middle Island Maremma Project - Maremmas protect Little Penguins and saved them from near extinction!
- Oddball A fun family movie about the Middle Island Maremma Project
- MSCA National Maremma Sheepdog Rescue Network
- Gold Shaw Farm - Very entertaining and educational YouTube channel featuring Toby the Maremma Sheepdog!
Info About Livestock Guardian Dogs
Read the amazing story of the
Middle Island Maremma Project,
in New Zealand, where Maremmas successfully brought the critically endangered Fairy Penguins back from the brink of extinction!
And then watch the movie!